Services are provided in native languages by bilingual attorneys: divorces, local and international, consultations about family matters by top experts, Hague Convention, child support, alimony, adoptions, wills and trusts, legalization of foreign divorces, registration and legalization of foreign documents, apostilles, mid-marriage agreements and prenuptials, restoration of vital documents, all matter related to the United States, former USSR territories, Europe, Israel and Australia.
Family Law: divorce proceedings, conclusion of marriage (Russia)

When I bought three-room flat, the buy-sell agreement and all registrations for that apartment mention my name as Sydoroff. This was done because the notarized translation of my passport was done with Sydoroff. I did not know at that time but later my wife told me that my name should be spelled as Sidorov. What problems can I run into in regards to a future sale of any of these properties, execution of my will, my residency permit or in connection to the marriage certificate? Do I need to have corrections made and what would be the simplest way of doing that?


Your wife is right, Sidorov is correct spelling of your last name in Russian. That's because I looked thoroughly that no one error made in your documents. Vosstania 6 of course screwed you up. Circumstances? If you sell your property no any circumstances will be. You make your passport translation the same as your last name showed in documents for apartment and sell it. But if you don't plan to sell the apartment in this case some problem likely can be. There will be variant reading in all documents: marriage certificate, will, your wife's passport (if she changed her last name). And of something happens with you, your wife would have to prove than man with last name Sidorov is the same person as with last name Sydoroff. Often such issues are taken to court. And it's better for you to secure yourself and your folks of possible problems in future. I think you need to make correct translation of your passport and based on this make changes in Unified state registry of real estate rights. If they decline (but likely not) in this case you can force them to make changes base on court decision. Of course I can help you in this matter.

Articles and consultations authored by attorney reflect the state of law as of the date of their writing. The laws change daily. Users of this site are advised to consult attorney regarding their situation.
Karina Duvall
russian divorce services Payment by credit card
The highest compliment you can pay me is the referral of a friend or a relative.
+1-212-205-2211 New York
+1-212-574-3288 New York (Fax)
+1-617-850-9199 Boston
+1-310-929-8444 Los Angeles
+9-722-375-2113 Israel
+7-495-662-8721 Moscow
+7-921-946-0582 St.Petersburg
+7-812-309-5697 St.Petersburg (fax)
+38-044-392-8634 Kiev

Divorce in Russia ©

Copyright © 1998-2023

Russian attorney at law Karina Duvall.

Terms and conditions of Russian-Divorce PC

Russian-Divorce Professional Corp. BBB Business Review