Services are provided in native languages by bilingual attorneys: divorces, local and international, consultations about family matters by top experts, Hague Convention, child support, alimony, adoptions, wills and trusts, legalization of foreign divorces, registration and legalization of foreign documents, apostilles, mid-marriage agreements and prenuptials, restoration of vital documents, all matter related to the United States, former USSR territories, Europe, Israel and Australia.
Family Law: divorce proceedings, conclusion of marriage (Russia)

I've been living with my common-law husband for one year. He is not divorced though he hasn't been living with his wife for 4 years. They have a child of 13 years. We would like to register our marriage. For that purpose he shall divorce from his wife but the problem is that she is going to Canada for a year. That means we do not have enough time for a divorce in accordance with the standard procedure. What can we do? She agrees to divorce.


In case both spouses agree to divorce there is nothing that can cause difficulties. As they have a child their marriage can be terminated only by court decision (Art. 21 of the Family Code of the Russian Federation). Herewith in case the husband applies to court, the wife can give a written consent to divorce and hearing of the case in her absence (it can be given in a notarial office or in the court). The wife can also apply to court and request the court to hear the case in her absence. The marriage can be terminated even if she leaves Moscow without giving her consent to divorce or filing a divorce claim: in this case a notice issued by the court in her name shall be registered in housing authorities.

Articles and consultations authored by attorney reflect the state of law as of the date of their writing. The laws change daily. Users of this site are advised to consult attorney regarding their situation.
Karina Duvall
russian divorce services Payment by credit card
The highest compliment you can pay me is the referral of a friend or a relative.
+1-212-205-2211 New York
+1-212-574-3288 New York (Fax)
+1-617-850-9199 Boston
+1-310-929-8444 Los Angeles
+9-722-375-2113 Israel
+7-495-662-8721 Moscow
+7-921-946-0582 St.Petersburg
+7-812-309-5697 St.Petersburg (fax)
+38-044-392-8634 Kiev

Divorce in Russia ©

Copyright © 1998-2023

Russian attorney at law Karina Duvall.

Terms and conditions of Russian-Divorce PC

Russian-Divorce Professional Corp. BBB Business Review