Services are provided in native languages by bilingual attorneys: divorces, local and international, consultations about family matters by top experts, Hague Convention, child support, alimony, adoptions, wills and trusts, legalization of foreign divorces, registration and legalization of foreign documents, apostilles, mid-marriage agreements and prenuptials, restoration of vital documents, all matter related to the United States, former USSR territories, Europe, Israel and Australia.

My husband and I are Russian citizens. Our child was born in Ukraine and received a birth certificate in Ukrainian. Prior to departure to Ukraine we visited our civil records office to get a consultation concerning documents we will need to obtain; we were told that we will need a notarized translation of the certificate in Ukrainian. Upon return to Russia we applied to a civil records office for the purpose of obtaining a Russian birth certificate but were refused. Civil records officers said that we would have to use the Ukrainian certificate with the translation into Russian until the child receives a passport. Are they right? We also took legal advice, a lawyer advised us to obtain an apostille but we didn't understand for which purposes.


An apostille is an international stamp necessary for ensuring document's validity in foreign countries (provided for by the Hague Convention of October 05, 1961). But an apostille is not required for relationships between Russia and Ukraine as according to Minsk Convention of 1993 a notarized translation of a document into Russian is valid in the territory of Russia. Second state registration of birth in the territory of Russia is not possible as the fact of birth has already been registered by Ukrainian authorities.

Articles and consultations authored by attorney reflect the state of law as of the date of their writing. The laws change daily. Users of this site are advised to consult attorney regarding their situation.
Karina Duvall
russian divorce services Payment by credit card
The highest compliment you can pay me is the referral of a friend or a relative.
+1-212-205-2211 New York
+1-212-574-3288 New York (Fax)
+1-617-850-9199 Boston
+1-310-929-8444 Los Angeles
+9-722-375-2113 Israel
+7-495-662-8721 Moscow
+7-921-946-0582 St.Petersburg
+7-812-309-5697 St.Petersburg (fax)
+38-044-392-8634 Kiev

Divorce in Russia ©

Copyright © 1998-2023

Russian attorney at law Karina Duvall.

Terms and conditions of Russian-Divorce PC

Russian-Divorce Professional Corp. BBB Business Review