Services are provided in native languages by bilingual attorneys: divorces, local and international, consultations about family matters by top experts, Hague Convention, child support, alimony, adoptions, wills and trusts, legalization of foreign divorces, registration and legalization of foreign documents, apostilles, mid-marriage agreements and prenuptials, restoration of vital documents, all matter related to the United States, former USSR territories, Europe, Israel and Australia.

I’ve been living in America for 7 years. Recently I found out that my mother privatized an apartment where she lives (cooperative) and where I have been registered since 1989. She also registered her grandson (my sister’s son) there and didn’t say anything about that to me. In her will made about 10 years ago she intended to leave 2/3 of the apartment to me and 1/3 to the nephew. A month ago I was told that she had made a new will according to which the apartment would be divided in two! The nephew is getting married soon and of course he is going to register his wife there. It is the way of the world that children are born in marriages which means one more dweller. I do not have other living space. I rent an apartment in America… Can my relatives deregister me from the apartment behind my back? In case they can what will I lose? What rights to the apartment have the newly registered persons? Can I register my daughter in the apartment? What shall I do for that? I am sorry for emotions but I wouldn’t like to be left with nothing. Thank you.


The question is put in the wrong way. Only a municipal apartment can be privatized; in case an apartment is cooperative it can not be privatized. In case the apartment is municipal and your mother privatized it you may be already deregistered from it (in any case it could be done only judicially). In this case you shall immediately recover your rights. In case the apartment is cooperative: who is the owner? Conclusions can be drawn depending on the circumstances. As for registration of the child, you can register your daughter at the place of your residence without obtaining any of your relatives’ consent (only upon your wife’s consent – Art. 20 p. 2 of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation). Your nephew’s wife can be registered in the apartment only upon written consent of all family members of legal age.

Articles and consultations authored by attorney reflect the state of law as of the date of their writing. The laws change daily. Users of this site are advised to consult attorney regarding their situation.
Karina Duvall
russian divorce services Payment by credit card
The highest compliment you can pay me is the referral of a friend or a relative.
+1-212-205-2211 New York
+1-212-574-3288 New York (Fax)
+1-617-850-9199 Boston
+1-310-929-8444 Los Angeles
+9-722-375-2113 Israel
+7-495-662-8721 Moscow
+7-921-946-0582 St.Petersburg
+7-812-309-5697 St.Petersburg (fax)
+38-044-392-8634 Kiev

Divorce in Russia ©

Copyright © 1998-2023

Russian attorney at law Karina Duvall.

Terms and conditions of Russian-Divorce PC

Russian-Divorce Professional Corp. BBB Business Review