Services are provided in native languages by bilingual attorneys: divorces, local and international, consultations about family matters by top experts, Hague Convention, child support, alimony, adoptions, wills and trusts, legalization of foreign divorces, registration and legalization of foreign documents, apostilles, mid-marriage agreements and prenuptials, restoration of vital documents, all matter related to the United States, former USSR territories, Europe, Israel and Australia.
Family Law: divorce proceedings, conclusion of marriage (USA)

Замужем за гражданином США 2 года 11 месяцев. Сейчас в процессе получения второй грин карты, т.е. первая грин-карта експаерд (13 февраля 2008), получили письмо, что вторую гринку получу в течение года (февраль 2009)У меня сын от первого брака(11 лет) муж хочет развода и я тоже была бы рада развестись, но где гарантия, что меня не департируют, так как у меня еще нет постоянной грин-карты. Имею постоянную работу, свой счет в банке, медстраховку на себя и сына. Со стороны мужа постоянный моральный обьюз, который я доказать не смогу. Вопрос, если разведусь на этом этапе или просто уйду от мужа на квартиру, как это может повлиять на мое получения второй грин-карты? Спасибо


Dear Elena,

As I understand from your email, you have already received a so called "conditional" green card because at that time you were married for less then two years. Now you are in the process of removing this "condition" and receiving your permanent card. Unfortunately, your relationship with your husband has worsened and you are not sure if you want this marriage continued any longer. The law is relatively clear on this subject. If you divorced your husband it means that he is not supporting your application for permanent card based on your marriage and you have to self-petition INS to remove the condition. However, the law provides you an opportunity to apply in both cases, if you still married or already divorced. The requirements for such self-petitions are quite different for still married and divorced applicants and the INS is quite strict with self-petitions. Additionally, you have mentioned an element of verbal abuse present in you relationship with your husband and it may and should be used in your favor I highly recommend you to consult with a competent immigration attorney and based on your specific circumstances to devise a smart strategy of getting your permanent green card. As you correctly mentioned, so much depends on the right strategy and you cannot afford to make a mistake.

Anatoly Kissen, Esq.
Articles and consultations authored by attorney reflect the state of law as of the date of their writing. The laws change daily. Users of this site are advised to consult attorney regarding their situation.
Karina Duvall
russian divorce services Payment by credit card
The highest compliment you can pay me is the referral of a friend or a relative.
+1-212-205-2211 New York
+1-212-574-3288 New York (Fax)
+1-617-850-9199 Boston
+1-310-929-8444 Los Angeles
+9-722-375-2113 Israel
+7-495-662-8721 Moscow
+7-921-946-0582 St.Petersburg
+7-812-309-5697 St.Petersburg (fax)
+38-044-392-8634 Kiev

Divorce in Russia ©

Copyright © 1998-2023

Russian attorney at law Karina Duvall.

Terms and conditions of Russian-Divorce PC

Russian-Divorce Professional Corp. BBB Business Review