Services are provided in native languages by bilingual attorneys: divorces, local and international, consultations about family matters by top experts, Hague Convention, child support, alimony, adoptions, wills and trusts, legalization of foreign divorces, registration and legalization of foreign documents, apostilles, mid-marriage agreements and prenuptials, restoration of vital documents, all matter related to the United States, former USSR territories, Europe, Israel and Australia.
Family Law: termination of parental rights, rights of the child, child support. (Russia)

I am going to marry an American citizen. I have recently divorced my ex-husband, the child is now one year old. My ex-husband is against my new marriage and child’s going abroad. What can I do, taking into account the fact that my ex-husband is supporting the child within his powers- pays 3000-4000 Rubles per month voluntary without any court decree?


The first thing you have to do is to apply to the court claiming maintenance for support of the child and yourself. You are entitled to receive your maintenance until the child will become 3 years old. The child is entitled to receive its maintenance until coming of full age. Avoidance of maintenance payment for more than 6 months will enable you to apply to the court claiming termination of parental rights and/or adoption of your child. Termination of parental rights will be the best solution for you, but currently it is impossible due to two reasons:

1) maintenance has not been claimed in a judicial procedure;

2) father renders material assistance and participates in the child’s upbringing voluntarily.

Therefore the option available in your situation is to apply to the court claiming the determination of residence of mother and her child. If the court states that the child must live with the mother, then in case of change of mother’s residence, the child will follow her. If the father is adequate, you may make an agreement within this case limits as regards the procedure for exercising of parental rights, thus defining the place and time of his meeting with the child, maintenance payment procedure and his participation in other types of assistance.

Strictly speaking, К-1 and К-3 visas are non-immigration visas, you don’t have to execute permanent place of residence when going outside the Russian Federation. So you can leave Russia without any hindrance, unless your husband notifies the border control authorities about his objection. If it happens you will have to receive permit for going abroad in a judicial procedure.

As long as he formally does not state his forbidding the child’s going abroad, you may leave the Russian Federation without hindrance, as I mentioned above. In this connection it very important to understand which formulation of the Russian court ruling will be satisfy the consulate for issuing a visa for going to USA, and which documents, apart from the court ruling will be sufficient for obtaining entry visa to the USA.

The periods of case consideration by the court are different. You should keep in mind 6-8 months for consideration of the case on determination of residence of mother and her child.

Articles and consultations authored by attorney reflect the state of law as of the date of their writing. The laws change daily. Users of this site are advised to consult attorney regarding their situation.
Karina Duvall
russian divorce services Payment by credit card
The highest compliment you can pay me is the referral of a friend or a relative.
+1-212-205-2211 New York
+1-212-574-3288 New York (Fax)
+1-617-850-9199 Boston
+1-310-929-8444 Los Angeles
+9-722-375-2113 Israel
+7-495-662-8721 Moscow
+7-921-946-0582 St.Petersburg
+7-812-309-5697 St.Petersburg (fax)
+38-044-392-8634 Kiev

Divorce in Russia ©

Copyright © 1998-2022

Russian attorney at law Karina Duvall.

Terms and conditions of Russian-Divorce PC

Russian-Divorce Professional Corp. BBB Business Review