Services are provided in native languages by bilingual attorneys: divorces, local and international, consultations about family matters by top experts, Hague Convention, child support, alimony, adoptions, wills and trusts, legalization of foreign divorces, registration and legalization of foreign documents, apostilles, mid-marriage agreements and prenuptials, restoration of vital documents, all matter related to the United States, former USSR territories, Europe, Israel and Australia.
Family Law: divorce proceedings, conclusion of marriage (Russia)

I have been married for almost 5 years, and a recent experience has raised my suspicions that at the time of our marriage she was still married to her last husband. Is it possible to obtain a copy of her Russian divorce certificate? I can provide a translated copy of her marriage cert. to her last husband.


According to Russian legislation you may request annulment because your wife’s previous marriage has not been terminated. As far as I know the majority of countries does not recognize polygamy and impose penalties against such an action.

To get such information you can only through the court because Vital Records Office can provide this information only by court request.

You have right to apply to Russian court with annulment action. The court will request the Vital Records Office whether the divorce had been registered and the date of the registration.

If the answer from Vital Records Office is positive i.e. previous had been terminated, you have right not to participate in the case anymore. In this case, the court may dismiss the case at all.

If you find out that previous marriage has not been terminated, you will have right to request annulment of your marriage, to demand on financial damage and moral compensation.

Articles and consultations authored by attorney reflect the state of law as of the date of their writing. The laws change daily. Users of this site are advised to consult attorney regarding their situation.
Karina Duvall
russian divorce services Payment by credit card
The highest compliment you can pay me is the referral of a friend or a relative.
+1-212-205-2211 New York
+1-212-574-3288 New York (Fax)
+1-617-850-9199 Boston
+1-310-929-8444 Los Angeles
+9-722-375-2113 Israel
+7-495-662-8721 Moscow
+7-921-946-0582 St.Petersburg
+7-812-309-5697 St.Petersburg (fax)
+38-044-392-8634 Kiev

Divorce in Russia ©

Copyright © 1998-2023

Russian attorney at law Karina Duvall.

Terms and conditions of Russian-Divorce PC

Russian-Divorce Professional Corp. BBB Business Review