Services are provided in native languages by bilingual attorneys: divorces, local and international, consultations about family matters by top experts, Hague Convention, child support, alimony, adoptions, wills and trusts, legalization of foreign divorces, registration and legalization of foreign documents, apostilles, mid-marriage agreements and prenuptials, restoration of vital documents, all matter related to the United States, former USSR territories, Europe, Israel and Australia.
Family Law: adoption, guardianship (Russia)

Hello, my fiancée lives in Russia and wants to move abroad with me. She has a daughter that’s 4 yrs old, and wants to bring her also. But she knows that the Ex-husband will not give permission for this. He does pay support ordered by the court, but he has had very little contact with the little girl. Is there any restriction for them to come abroad, and what paperwork would she need to accomplish this? If she can't get the parental consent, can the court system help with this process?

What are our options?


If no court decision determining with which parent the child would live with after divorce was obtained then it should be obtained now. Such court decision is enough for the purpose of obtaining a US visa for the child together with the mother.

Father's consent is not required according to the general rule of exit from the Russian Federation. As K1 is a non-immigration visa Russian authorities will consider such exit as a temporary trip abroad. If the father is against child’s exit from the country he should submit a written application to the Border Service of Russia. If he does so the child will not be able to leave Russia until this issue is settled by judicial means.

The safest way to resolve such conflict with the ex-husband is to terminate his parental rights to the child. This is possible when the father evades of upbringing the child, doesn't pay child support or the child support paid is below the minimum subsistence level and is not enough to satisfy child’s needs. If this is the case, you should gather evidence that the father does not take part in upbringing of the child, doesn’t meet the child, doesn’t keep in touch with her, doesn’t pay child support, doesn’t give presents. If father’s parental rights are terminated by the court your fiancée will be able to take any decisions concerning the child without regard to father’s opinion.

If required I can prepare a claim for determination of child’s residence or termination of parental rights. We will also be able to carry this case in court and our US partners can prepare all documents required for the interview.

We will be glad to help you.

Articles and consultations authored by attorney reflect the state of law as of the date of their writing. The laws change daily. Users of this site are advised to consult attorney regarding their situation.
Karina Duvall
russian divorce services Payment by credit card
The highest compliment you can pay me is the referral of a friend or a relative.
+1-212-205-2211 New York
+1-212-574-3288 New York (Fax)
+1-617-850-9199 Boston
+1-310-929-8444 Los Angeles
+9-722-375-2113 Israel
+7-495-662-8721 Moscow
+7-921-946-0582 St.Petersburg
+7-812-309-5697 St.Petersburg (fax)
+38-044-392-8634 Kiev

Divorce in Russia ©

Copyright © 1998-2023

Russian attorney at law Karina Duvall.

Terms and conditions of Russian-Divorce PC

Russian-Divorce Professional Corp. BBB Business Review