Services are provided in native languages by bilingual attorneys: divorces, local and international, consultations about family matters by top experts, Hague Convention, child support, alimony, adoptions, wills and trusts, legalization of foreign divorces, registration and legalization of foreign documents, apostilles, mid-marriage agreements and prenuptials, restoration of vital documents, all matter related to the United States, former USSR territories, Europe, Israel and Australia.
Family Law: termination of parental rights, rights of the child, child support. (Russia)

Question about divorce in Russia, visitation issues, and equitable distribution.


You have a right to end the marriage according to the law of Russian Federation. To file for divorce you should get a copy of your marriage certificate and a copy of your child’s birth certificate. I can do all of this for you.

It is unlikely, almost impossible, for the Russian court to award child custody to father. Therefore, in your case it would be wise to petition the court for visitation rights. As a father, you have a right to see your child; you also have a right to take part in his parenting. You also have a duty to pay child support.

You can also ask the court for equitable division of marital property. As a rule, all property obtained during marriage belongs to both spouses and is subject to equitable division. This is true regardless of who bought the property or in whose name.

One advantageous difference between Russian and most European marital laws is an ability to bifurcate (separate) the divorce proceeding from any marital proceedings. Usually, trying to resolve all disputed issues (custody, visitations, division of property and debs) contemporaneously with divorce often results in the proceedings lasting for years. This fact not only prevents both sides from resolving marital differences, but also prevents the spouses from getting married again. Therefore, most foreign men who are married to Russian women choose to bifurcate their divorce proceedings. At the same time, you should not prolong asking the court for equitable distribution of property. We have to ask the court to place a lien on the apartment, because without a lien your wife is free to sell it in which case you rights will be violated and you will suffer damages.

I will be more than happy to help you resolve all issues mentioned above. I will be happy to help you.

Articles and consultations authored by attorney reflect the state of law as of the date of their writing. The laws change daily. Users of this site are advised to consult attorney regarding their situation.
Karina Duvall
russian divorce services Payment by credit card
The highest compliment you can pay me is the referral of a friend or a relative.
+1-212-205-2211 New York
+1-212-574-3288 New York (Fax)
+1-617-850-9199 Boston
+1-310-929-8444 Los Angeles
+9-722-375-2113 Israel
+7-495-662-8721 Moscow
+7-921-946-0582 St.Petersburg
+7-812-309-5697 St.Petersburg (fax)
+38-044-392-8634 Kiev

Divorce in Russia ©

Copyright © 1998-2023

Russian attorney at law Karina Duvall.

Terms and conditions of Russian-Divorce PC

Russian-Divorce Professional Corp. BBB Business Review