Services are provided in native languages by bilingual attorneys: divorces, local and international, consultations about family matters by top experts, Hague Convention, child support, alimony, adoptions, wills and trusts, legalization of foreign divorces, registration and legalization of foreign documents, apostilles, mid-marriage agreements and prenuptials, restoration of vital documents, all matter related to the United States, former USSR territories, Europe, Israel and Australia.
Family Law: divorce proceedings, conclusion of marriage (Russia)

My husband and I have been married for nearly 20 years. We were married in the US.

We have two children. Both are now university students. Therefore, there are no custody issues to consider.

I learned recently that my husband has had affairs with multiple women over the past 6 years. This happened earlier in our marriage, when my children were very young. However, we worked through the issues then and stayed together. Now that it has happened again, I can no longer stay in this marriage, as it is beyond salvaging.

In terms of assets, there is an apartment that we live in in Moscow that my husband is registered as owning, a house that we are listed as jointly owning in Florida, and a house that my husband is listed as owning in France. (I am not sure how property law works in Russia and France, and I have no idea if I am entitled to make any claim to these properties as my husband's spouse). There are also individual bank accounts that we have in the US, UK and Russia.

Regarding our citizenships: We actually both have 3 passports: Russian, UK and US.

My main objectives for the outcome of the divorce are as follows:

1. I would like for it to be over quickly.

2. I am really only interested in getting what I put into the marriage financially. This would involve a cash settlement and full ownership of our property in Florida, since I will probably go back there to live in the near future. I can provide further details on my rationale for this type of settlement if you would like.

Questions that I would like to get answered from you as a result of your initial consultation:

1. In what country/ jurisdiction would it be best for me to file for a divorce?

2. Based on your answer to #2- approximately how long would it take for the divorce to be granted?

Please let me know what further questions you may have. I look forward to your reply.


If you are interested to get fast divorce, the best jurisdiction is the Russian Federation. It is maybe sole jurisdiction for you since both parties has legal residence in Russia.

The Russian legislation provides the opportunity to get simple divorce without resolving any other issues, including spousal support and property issues. You can reach property agreement any time later or resolve it later in proper jurisdiction where property located. According to my knowledge, you cannot file divorce case in Florida, if you doesn't live there. Therefore, the only option to get US property is to open separate property case after divorce will be done.

If you both, you and your husband, agreed for property issues, I can prepare settlement agreement and file it during divorce proceeding. Otherwise, I will handle your divorce case and you will resolve the property issues any time later.

Do you have your marriage certificate with apostille? If not, I can receive it for you. Marriage certificate with apostille is first requirement to open divorce case in Russia.

So, I need the following documents:

1) copy of your Russian passport;

2) copy of Russian passport of your husband, if available;

3) original of marriage certificate with apostille, if available;

4) copy of marriage certificate, if you cannot provide original;

5) your Russian address;

6) Russian address of your husband;

7) Power of Attorney (I will prepare it for you).

Please let me know, if you have marriage certificate. If not, we need to receive it as soon as possible.

I will be glad to help you.

Articles and consultations authored by attorney reflect the state of law as of the date of their writing. The laws change daily. Users of this site are advised to consult attorney regarding their situation.
Karina Duvall
russian divorce services Payment by credit card
The highest compliment you can pay me is the referral of a friend or a relative.
+1-212-205-2211 New York
+1-212-574-3288 New York (Fax)
+1-617-850-9199 Boston
+1-310-929-8444 Los Angeles
+9-722-375-2113 Israel
+7-495-662-8721 Moscow
+7-921-946-0582 St.Petersburg
+7-812-309-5697 St.Petersburg (fax)
+38-044-392-8634 Kiev

Divorce in Russia ©

Copyright © 1998-2023

Russian attorney at law Karina Duvall.

Terms and conditions of Russian-Divorce PC

Russian-Divorce Professional Corp. BBB Business Review