Services are provided in native languages by bilingual attorneys: divorces, local and international, consultations about family matters by top experts, Hague Convention, child support, alimony, adoptions, wills and trusts, legalization of foreign divorces, registration and legalization of foreign documents, apostilles, mid-marriage agreements and prenuptials, restoration of vital documents, all matter related to the United States, former USSR territories, Europe, Israel and Australia.
Family Law: termination of parental rights, rights of the child, child support. (Russia)

Dear Karina,

I have a difficult Russian law problem.

I am a US citizen and had a relationship with a Russian man, the result of which was a daughter. The man did not tell me he was married and when I found out I ended the relationship.

The man is a well known businessman in Moscow. He has two older sons from his marriage.

The man and I had a verbal agreement (and I have done emails too) that he would pay child maintenance to me for my daughter, would pay for her to attend private school and pay for her university education - i.e. she was to be in the same position as his sons and enjoy the same lifestyle. He has paid nothing. After my daughter was enrolled in the school it was left to me to find the money to pay.

Three years ago I commenced legal proceedings against him.

His son angrily told me that, two years ago, this man signed over the successful business to him and his brother (obviously to hide his assets/earnings etc).

My question are:

1) Why are the courts taking so long to settle this matter when they have all of the information required (to date three years)and this man is quite well known?

2) If court proceedings were started three years ago, but he only transferred the business to his sons two years ago, will the courts still consider the business in its calculations and understand he has transferred the business to avoid paying?

3) Can my daughter make a claim to a third of the business or else ask for monetary compensation for her third?

4) Can the court impose sanctions on this man, restricting his passport for example, for hiding assets and non payment etc?

Any help would be so much appreciated.

Thank you and kind regards.


1. Three years is very long period of time for court proceeding. Something going wrong. I will be able to review the case, if you decide to hire me to resolve the situation.

2. It is his rights to manage his business. I do not think you will get something from it. But you can show to the court his opportunity to make the money.

3. Your daughter cannot divide her father's business for sure.

4. Yes, but after the court order only.

Articles and consultations authored by attorney reflect the state of law as of the date of their writing. The laws change daily. Users of this site are advised to consult attorney regarding their situation.
Karina Duvall
russian divorce services Payment by credit card
The highest compliment you can pay me is the referral of a friend or a relative.
+1-212-205-2211 New York
+1-212-574-3288 New York (Fax)
+1-617-850-9199 Boston
+1-310-929-8444 Los Angeles
+9-722-375-2113 Israel
+7-495-662-8721 Moscow
+7-921-946-0582 St.Petersburg
+7-812-309-5697 St.Petersburg (fax)
+38-044-392-8634 Kiev

Divorce in Russia ©

Copyright © 1998-2023

Russian attorney at law Karina Duvall.

Terms and conditions of Russian-Divorce PC

Russian-Divorce Professional Corp. BBB Business Review