Services are provided in native languages by bilingual attorneys: divorces, local and international, consultations about family matters by top experts, Hague Convention, child support, alimony, adoptions, wills and trusts, legalization of foreign divorces, registration and legalization of foreign documents, apostilles, mid-marriage agreements and prenuptials, restoration of vital documents, all matter related to the United States, former USSR territories, Europe, Israel and Australia.
Notary (USA)

Greetings – I wrote a question on Avvo about a situation I am in with regard to my middle name. As a child I changed my name officially (with my mother's help) in the NYC court system (I believe this was in the late 60's or early 70's, but am not sure of the exact year/month). I recently went to the county and city courts (60 and 111 Centre St.) in Manhattan but could not find the record in their record books. The discrepancy has never been a problem for me before, but my brother and I are currently trying to sell property I inherited in Mexico, and our lawyers have cited this as a problem. It may not be insurmountable, but I am told it would be better if I can obtain some documentation of the name change. I was encouraged to hear that you are experienced with this kind of issue, and would like to learn more.


Many people came to a similar situation because traditionally, immigrants change their names during naturalization proceedings, as a result of marriage, or through Civil Court. Can you speak with your mom to find the year, place, and grounds for name changes? Would you know the address of your residency at that time? When and where were you naturalized? Do you have the naturalization certificate? If your name was changed due to naturalization, we should check the district court. Please provide me with more information, and I will try to help you.

Articles and consultations authored by attorney reflect the state of law as of the date of their writing. The laws change daily. Users of this site are advised to consult attorney regarding their situation.
Karina Duvall
The highest compliment you can pay me is the referral of a friend or a relative.
+1-212-205-2211 New York
+1-212-574-3288 New York (Fax)
+1-617-850-9199 Boston
+1-310-929-8444 Los Angeles
+9-722-375-2113 Israel
+7-495-662-8721 Moscow
+7-921-946-0582 St.Petersburg
+7-812-309-5697 St.Petersburg (fax)
+38-044-392-8634 Kiev

Divorce in Russia ©

Copyright © 1998-2024

Russian attorney at law Karina Duvall.

Terms and conditions of Russian-Divorce PC

Russian-Divorce Professional Corp. BBB Business Review